In 1900 the golfing fraternity was successful in persuading the authorities to make land available for a golf course. With some alterations in layout, the golf course still occupies a substantial portion of the Commonage today. The Commonage also served non-recreational purposes, some of them rather unusual. For years it was used as a pasture for cattle and a portion was a place of internment for many thousands of prisoners during the South African War.
The Cape Town Stadium hosted 9 matches in the 2010 Soccer World Cup.
On 27 December 1920 Cape Town's first air crash fatality occured at the Green Point Common.
In 1862 the first rugby match in South Africa took place between the "Officers of the Army" and the "Gentlemen of the Civil Service" at Green Point Common. The match ended in a 0 - 0 draw.
Fort Wynyard was built in 1795. This battery overlooking Granger Bay was a perfect vantage point for ground artillery. Initially called ‘kyk in de pot’, it was later renamed Fort Wynyard after the Lt Gen RH Wynyard in 1862. This fort was functional throughout both world wars and is now the headquarters of the Cape Garrison Artillery.
The Green Point Common was vested land which was granted to the Cape Town City Council in 1923 by the Union Government as Commonage for general public recreation purposes and sports fields.
The Common was the place for rambles and outings for many residents of Table Valley as well as of Green and Sea Point. Regular horse race meetings were held on the Common, until the establishment of the Kenilworth Racecourse. The building that currently houses McDonalds was the original course stand. The slopes of Signal Hill accommodated eager spectators.
The Common was the venue for some of the earliest rugby and cricket matches in the Cape, and the Green Point Track was an important venue for cycling and other track and field sports.
Sailing regattas were held in Winter on its extensive, though very shallow, seasonal vlei. The vlei was gradually filled-in during the late 1800's and early 1900's. An Imperial Exhibition was held there at the turn of the century.
The old Green Point stadium could seat 18 000 spectators. The present stadium can seat 68 000.
On 1 April 1863 the first tramway company in Cape Town, the Cape Town and Green Point Tramway Company, commenced operations with a horse-drawn service running on rails from the foot of Adderley Street and out along Somerset Road to Green Point.
The old Green Point Stadium (Cape Town Stadium) was built at Green Point Common, Cape Town during the Second Boer War. During that period the area was used as a transit camp for prisoners of war to be shipped to remote islands.